It’s time to celebrate! The strawberries are here, courtesy of Providence Farm and Sweeter Song Farm. It’s hard not to gorge on them, they are so good! Strawberries with shortcake is a traditional way to enjoy the red beauties but there are so many ways to feast on them.
- The average strawberry has 200 seeds.
- Strawberries are a member of the rose family.
- Strawberries are the only fruit with seeds on the outside.
- Americans eat about 5 lbs of strawberries a year per capita.
- California produces one BILLION pounds of strawberries each year!
- Strawberries are not only delectable, they are also pretty darn good for you. They are high in antioxidants, vitamin C, and phytonutrients.
1 pound fresh, ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 tablespoon natural cane sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar*
Place strawberries in a medium bowl, sprinkle with sugar, and gently stir. Let stand for 15 minutes. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over strawberries and gently stir again. Refrigerate or let stand for at least 1 hour. Enjoy as is, or serve over Greek-style yogurt or vanilla ice cream. Serves 4
*For best results, use the best quality balsamic you can find. The finest balsamic is an aged product that is deliciously sweet and thick.