1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon dry ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring (if you have it)
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, spices, salt, and baking soda in a small bowl.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and beat until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla and pumpkin and combine. On low speed, add flour mixture in batches, beating until just combined and smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the maple syrup and extracts and beat to mix. Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, beating until incorporated. Spread on cooled cake.
You will have exactly enough pumpkin left over from a can to make pumpkin pancakes!