180 Days of School Lunches
There are 180 days of school, which means, your kids will need 180 lunches during the school year! Here are a few tips for getting organized and making the task of sending lunch to school a bit easier.
- Decide what equipment you want to use. Standard lunchbox? Insulated bag? Bento box? This will help inform what you pack inside. You’ll also need smaller containers, a bottle for liquid, cutlery, etc.
- Decide what time you will make lunches. In the morning? The night before? Maybe you like prepping several days or week’s worth of lunches in one sitting?
- Maximize prep time: when you’re making dinner and cutting up veggies, take a few extra minutes to also cut up veggies for lunch boxes. Boil some eggs, pre-portion nuts & dried fruit, cut up cheese cubes, etc. while you’re working on dinner.
- Find out about allergies: ask the school if there are any foods that are not allowed due to allergies.
- Follow a basic formula: Decide on a formula such as protein + carb + vegetable + fruit, or whatever works for you and your child. Have plenty of options on hand so it’s not the same thing day after day.
- Have emergency meals ready: some days you will run out of time or realize you forgot to grocery shop. Have something in the freezer or cupboard that you can pull out and assemble at a moment’s notice. Or have your child buy lunch at school.