1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1¼ cups packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Optional: powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- In a larger bowl, cream together the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Beat in the egg. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture gradually and mix just until combined.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into a ball with your hands. Place on the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Press them down to flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 minutes until just beginning to brown. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave oven or in a small saucepan over low heat. Drizzle the cookies with the melted chocolate. If desired, sprinkle with a little powdered sugar. Makes about 2 dozen cookies.