As a trusted resource of health and a community gathering space, Oryana is closely monitoring updates on the Coronavirus and Covid-19. We are following all of the recommended protocols and procedures from the CDC, World Health Organization, and State agencies to do our part to stop the spread of any germs or viruses while still continuing to provide our essential service to the community.
We’ve created this page as a resource that you can check on a regular basis for updates. This will include any new information that we receive as it relates to our staff and shoppers and also any temporary policies and procedures that we put in place for your health. We will also continue to share information on our Facebook Page and via our e-newsletter (you can sign up through the link in the upper left corner of our homepage) as it is appropriate.
Thank you for looking to us for good food and good health. We, as always, are here to serve you.
We will date and list these updates in reverse chronological order so that you can refer back to any previous postings.
Friday, April 3
Our cafe hot bar is closed until further notice.
Oryana will be closed Sunday, April 5 to allow our staff some much needed rest and to deeply clean and sanitize. Both Oryana 10th St. and Oryana West will be closed Easter Sunday, April 12 also for cleaning and staff recuperation and to allow contractors to begin paint and sign work at our new location.
Starting Sunday, March 29, the cafe will close every day at 3 pm. This includes hot drink orders and made-to-order sandwiches, salads, and smoothies. Grab and Go items and the Hot Bar will still be available after 3:00.
Thursday, March 26
Oryana will no longer be able to accept store product or item returns.
Wednesday, March 25
Oryana is proudly launching our Curbside Grocery Pick-up Service today. We will shop orders between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm each day. You may place your order online 24/7 here. You may also call your orders in between the hours of 10:00 and 4:00 via our direct line at 231-346-2850.
We will be extending our 5% Senior Discount to shoppers over 55 years to everyday between 9:00 and 10:00 am.
We will no longer be taking bottle and can returnables in our store. Glass milk bottles can be placed in designated crates outside of our entrances. They will be picked up, cleaned, and sanitized by our vendors.
Monday, March 23
This morning Governor Whitmer announced that Michigan will be observing a Stay Home, Stay Safe order beginning at 12:01 am tomorrow. We want to let you know that, as an essential service and your co-op, we will be remaining open ready to serve you everyday from 9:00 am – 7:00 pm.
We are still receiving regular shipments and have food and product on our shelves, so there is no need to stock up – we’ll be here! We are still asking you to reserve shopping before 10:00 am and all day Wednesday for seniors and members of vulnerable populations.
We are also working on implementing curbside pick-up for groceries and will be able to release that info very soon. Curbside pick-up for Café items is already in place and you can order by calling 231-346-2852. Thank you for the actions you are taking to protect our community.
Temporary Store Hours
Monday – Sunday 9am-7pm.
Wednesday, March 18, 2020
We are respectfully requesting that shoppers under the age of 55 and/or those who are shopping with a small child please shop after 10:00 am and avoid Wednesday shops. We will be reserving these times for our elderly population who is at a higher risk of infection.
Our Cafe is offering curbside pick-up for orders in addition to continuing walk-up orders. You may call them directly at 231-346-2852. Our menu is available here. We will be designating parking spots along 10th Street for pick-up use.
We know it can be difficult as you shop our store, but, whenever you are able, we ask that you practice Social Distancing. We ask that you:
- As you are able, keep a 6 foot distance from anyone besides those in your immediate family.
- Only touch items that you intend to purchase.
- Look for the floor tape in our cashier lines that will help you maintain a 6 foot distance while you wait to check-out.
- Understand that our staff are still willing and able to help you – and that we still like you! – even if we keep our distance.
Tuesday, March 17, 2020
The following eblast went out to our email list on Tuesday, March 17.
Dear Oryana Community,
I wanted to keep you all up to date on how your co-op is working to serve your needs during this trying time.
- Temporary Hours: As of this morning we are temporarily restricting store and café hours to 9:00 am – 7:00 pm. We currently plan to keep this in place through Sunday, March 22nd. If we need to extend these temporary hours to further dates, we will let you know. This is to allow our staff to restock and further clean and sanitize our store.
- Current Stock: We are still receiving regular shipments from our distributors. We may not have everything in stock, but are restocking as we are able. Our suppliers are doing everything we can to keep our shelves as full as possible.
- Senior Day: Our typical ‘Senior Day’ is Wednesday. We ask, for the protection of members of a vulnerable population that if you are below the age of 55 and/or are coming with young children to please shift your shopping day to another day of the week. I thank you in advance for helping to keep them safe.
- Pick-up/Delivery: We are currently working on plans for curbside pick-up and delivery orders for those who are sick, immunocompromised, caring for an ill family member, or otherwise in a vulnerable population. We will let you know what options are available as soon as they are in place.
- No Bring Your Own Items: To protect our staff, who need to handle all customer ‘bring your own items,’ we will not be allowing customers to use these items. This includes reusable bags, fillable bulk containers, and refillable mugs or travel cups.
- Social Distancing: To help stop the spread, we ask you, as much as possible, to please keep a distance of 6 feet from other shoppers and staff. Keep in mind that our staff are being exposed to thousands of shoppers each day and this may help limit their exposure and your exposure to the virus.
Finally, I want to take a moment to thank our incredible staff who have stepped up and performed in the face of adversity. It is clear that they know their importance to keeping you fed and healthy and are doing all they can to continue to serve our community. I knew they were an incredible team before, now I hope you are getting to see it too.
We know we are an essential service for many of you and a place to turn in times of turmoil. I want to assure you that we will be hear to fill those needs.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to keep you informed, safe, and supplied.
Monday, March 16, 2020
Oryana will be limiting hours Tuesday, March 17 through Sunday, March 22 to 9:00 am – 7:00 pm. This will allow us to restock our shelves, further our cleaning and sanitizing efforts, and help maintain staffing.
Sunday, March 15, 2020
As more work still needs to be done to slow the spread of the Coronavirus and to protect those who may be affected, Oryana will be putting the following additional safeguards in place:
The safety of our staff is as much a priority as your safety. That is why we will not be allowing you to use any ‘Bring Your Own’ materials in our store until further notice. This includes any and all reusable shopping bags, fill-your-own bulk containers, and travel mugs. These materials must be handled by our staff members or be present for periods of time in close proximity to our staff work areas and so increase their exposure. We know this will be a hard task for many of you who work so diligently to reduce waste – but until our vulnerable populations are safe, we feel this is a necessary step.
To reduce community spread through proximity, Oryana will be discontinuing dine-in seating and service at the Oryana Cafe, effective Monday, March 16. We will continue to offer packaged, grab and go items and will still make made-to-order items (including sandwiches, salads, juices, and espresso drinks) for takeout. Brewed Coffee and Hot Tea can be ordered directly from our Baristas.
Oryana staff will be monitoring all bulk purchases to ensure safe, hygienic procedures are followed.
The self-serve Olive Bar is closed until further notice.
We thank you again for your understanding, and for doing your part to ensure the health and safety of others.
Thursday, March 12, 2020
The following letter was sent to all of our e-news subscribers on the evening of Thursday, March 12.
Dear Oryana Community,
As a busy natural and organic grocery store and café and a popular place for community, we are closely monitoring Covid-19 to ensure the safety of our staff, customers, and community. While, at the time of this writing, there are no confirmed cases in Northern Michigan, we are putting measures into place that will help mitigate any spread should it reach our area. We know many of you look to us as a place of Health and Wellness, so we want to let you know the steps we are taking towards those ends.
Cleaning Protocols: We have taken inventory of all of our cleaning supplies and ensured that they are up to the CDC recommended standards to combat the virus. We have advised our staff and cleaning crews to increase disinfecting and sanitizing efforts in an abundance of caution.
Staff Care: Oryana Part-Time and Full-Time employees are eligible for Paid Time Off (PTO) to be used for both personal time and sick leave as they see fit per our regular policies. We have reinforced to them our practice that any staff exhibiting signs of illness please stay home until symptoms are gone. We have protocols in place for staff that do not have the amount of PTO available to cover sick leave – so they can stay home as needed without worry of finances.
Program Suspensions: There are some programs that we have decided to suspend until further notice to mitigate the spread of any germs or viruses. These include:
- Customer Travel Mug Use – for the safety of our staff who must handle customer-used travel mugs, we will not be accepting these mugs for drink fills at this time in our Café. We will be using our compostable cups or in-store sanitized mugs for drink fills until further notice.
- Sampling and Demos – we are suspending our sampling and demo programs including passive demos (like our cheese and grocery samples) and in-store active demos. We properly handle and regularly temp all other foods in our store and café and there are not indications that the Coronavirus is spread through food consumption.
What you can do: Keep in mind that for the majority of people, the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low. There is not widespread circulation in most communities in the United States. There is also much you can do to protect yourself and others.
- Proper Hand-Washing – we have updated all of the postings in our bathrooms to reinforce proper hand-washing techniques. (We’ve even included some handy song lyrics to help pass that 20 seconds quickly!)
- Proper Respiratory Hygiene – when coughing or sneezing, it is recommended to use a tissue or your sleeve to stop the spread of airborne germs.
- Utilize Trusted Resources for Information – the CDC, World Health Organization, our State, and your healthcare professional are great resources for your questions.
We will continue to communicate any changes we make to our policies and procedures as we take concerted efforts to monitor this situation. We understand that Oryana is essential to so many for robust health and well-being and we will work hard to serve our community. I do want to recognize that our team is amazing in their support and efforts. Please feel free to reach out and ask any questions you may have.
Customer Policy Changes:
Updated Wednesday, March 18
- Limited Store Hours – as of Thursday, March 19, Oryana’s hours will be 9:00 am – 7:00 pm daily to allow our staff time to restock and clean and sanitize the store.
- Reserve Shopping Times for those over 55 and vulnerable populations – if you are under 55 and/or shopping with a small child, please avoid shopping before 10:00 am and on Wednesdays. This will help allocate time for our at risk population to shop and protect them from exposure.
- No ‘Bring Your Own’ Materials – To reduce the contact that our staff has with outside materials, we will not be allowing ‘bring your own’ items. This includes reusable bags, reusable bulk containers (glass, plastic, or any other material), travel coffee mugs, etc.
- Store Returns – We are not able to accept any product or item returns at this time.
- No Dine-In Seating – There will be no dine-in seating at the Oryana Cafe until further notice. Customers are still welcome to purchase items off of our Cafe Menu for takeout. Brewed Coffees and Teas can be ordered directly from our Baristas. Our packaged Grab n’ Go items will still be available for purchase.
- No Outdoor Seating – Oryana will be fencing off or removing all outdoor seating. We cannot ensure the cleanliness of these spaces after each use and so are unable to offer them at this time.
- Bulk Purchases – Oryana staff members will continuously monitor our bulk department to ensure safety standards.
- Hot Bar Purchases – An Oryana staff member will assist you with your hot bar selection.
- Olive Bar – The self-serve Olive Bar will be discontinued until further notice.
- Sampling and Demos – Oryana will suspend all passive sampling (including cheese and grocery items) and all demos until further notice. This includes the Cheese Madness event.
- Personal Mugs – Customers may not bring their own mugs into the café for drink fills. Please use one of our provided compostable cups or one of our in-store sanitized reusable mugs.
- Owner Card Scanning – When you check out as an Owner we may ask you to read us the Owner number or scan your own card to cut down on materials passing between hands.
- Social Distancing – We ask you, as much as is possible, to practice Social Distancing in our store. We know it is difficult as you walk our aisles, but every little bit helps to slow the spread and flatten the curve.
- Senior Discount Extended – Shoppers over the age of 55 can use their 5% Senior Discount any day of the week between 9:00 and 10:00 am.
- Returnable Bottles/Cans – We are no longer taking returnable bottles or cans inside our store. Glass Milk Bottles can be placed in designated crates near our entrances. They will be picked up, cleaned, and sanitized by our vendors.