Makes 12 lemon cakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
finely grated zest from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 cups natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cups milk
1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced
1 pint heavy cream
2 teaspoons natural cane sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with paper cups or spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, lemon zest and salt. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go. Divide batter evenly among cups. Bake for 20 minutes until tops spring back when touched. Let cool for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- While cakes are baking, add cream and sugar to a bowl and whip until fluffy. Don’t overwhip. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To serve, peel off paper cup from a cake, cut a cake in half and place on a plate. Spoon on a generous serving of strawberries, top with the other cake half and a big dollop of whipped cream.