3 leeks, white and light green parts only
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup half and half
3/4 teaspoon sea salt
Freshly ground pepper
Big pinch nutmeg
4 oz Gruyère cheese, grated
Prepared single pie crust
- Wash the leeks well and slice.
- Parbake the single pie crust at 350°F for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium low heat. Add the leeks, sprinkle them with salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 10 minutes. After about 5 minutes, add 1 tablespoon white wine or water, cover, and braise the leeks a couple minutes. Keep stirring to make sure they don’t stick or brown.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Beat the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Spread the cooked leeks in the prepared pie crust. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the leeks, and pour the egg mixture over the top. Bake for 45 minutes or until center is set. Let cool 15 minutes before cutting and serving.