1 cup white spelt or all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup butter (1 stick), melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup warm milk
2 cups confectioner’s sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 stick butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 tablespoons milk
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper liners or spray well with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, butter, vanilla, and milk. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among the cups. Bake for 18 – 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the pan cool for about 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes from the pan and let cool completely before frosting.
- To make frosting, sift the confectioners sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Beat in the soft butter and vanilla. Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a spreadable consistency.