Big Game Recipes
Tex Mex Deviled Eggs
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
6 slices pickled jalapeño, minced
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
salt and pepper
paprika for sprinkling
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with an inch of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer eggs 10 minutes. Drain and add cold water to the pot. Let eggs sit in cold water a few minutes.
- Peel eggs. Cut each egg in half and scoop yolks into a small bowl. Mash the egg yolks with a fork and mix in the mayo, mustard, jalapeño, chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Add a little more mayo if it seems dry.
- Arrange egg whites on a platter. Spoon filling into cavities evenly and sprinkle with a little paprika. Serve immediately or store covered in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Pea Pesto with Ricotta
1 cup frozen peas, thawed or fresh peas
½ cup basil leaves, plus more for garnish
½ cup mint leaves, plus more for garnish
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
¼ cup olive oil, plus more for garnish
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 pound fresh ricotta
Flaky sea salt, for garnish
Toasted bread, for serving
- In a food processor, add the peas, basil and mint leaves, Parmesan and garlic. Purée until coarsely chopped. Add the olive oil and process until you have a chunky paste, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread ricotta on a large serving plate and dollop the pesto on top. Swirl the pesto into the ricotta and garnish with basil, mint, olive oil, pepper and flaky sea salt. Serve with toasted bread.
Crispy Cheesy Potato Skins
8 russet potatoes (about 5 lb.), washed
Olive oil for rubbing
1/2 cup butter, melted
Sea salt and black pepper
8 oz shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 lb bacon, cooked, drained, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced
- Heat oven to 400°F. Poke potatoes all over with a sharp knife and rub with oil.
- Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Roast until soft, 60-75 minutes. Let cool.
- Heat broiler to high. Cut potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh, leaving about a ¼ inch of potato. (Save the scooped out potato for another use.) Brush insides of potatoes with melted butter and season with salt and pepper; return to rack. Broil until crisp and flesh is golden, about 5-7 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese and bacon evenly among the potatoes. Place under the broiler until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve topped with sour cream, green onions, and black pepper.
Pigs in Blankets with Caramelized Onion Mustard
1 8-oz container Immaculate Organic Crescent Rolls
1 package Beeler’s Lil Bites Smoked Sausages or 24 mini smoked sausages
2 oz block of cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup packed, minced onion
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
- Heat oven to 375°F. Remove the crescent dough triangles from the container, smooth them out on a cutting board, and cut each triangle into 3 long triangles. Cut the cheese into thin, small squares about 3/4 inch.
- Place a sausage and slice of cheese at the tip of each dough triangle and roll up tightly. Place on parchment covered baking sheets about 2 inches apart and bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with onion mustard. Makes 24.
To make onion mustard
Heat butter in a small heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute the onion until nicely browned, stirring constantly, about 5-7 minutes. Let cool slightly, then mix with the mustard.
Loaded Veggie Nachos
You can vary the toppings in this recipe. Use whatever you like on your nachos: corn, beans, ground meat, red onion, roasted sweet potato, etc.
Your favorite sturdy tortilla chips
1 can (15 oz) refried black beans
2 cups packed, shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese or combination
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 avocado, diced
sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chips on the baking sheet. Don’t overlap them too much. You want a single layer of chips.
- Sprinkle the chips with about 1/4 of the cheese. Distribute small dollops of refried beans all over the chips. Sprinkle with the bell pepper, tomato, jalapeños, and half the green onions. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and top with the remaining green onions.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 10-12 minutes. Remove the nachos from the oven and sprinkle with the cilantro and avocado cubes. Serve immediately with sour cream and salsa on the side.
Tips for making the best nachos:
- Don’t use too many chips. Make a single layer of chips so every bite is full of the toppings.
- Sprinkle the cheese throughout the toppings, not just on top, so everything is nicely incorporated.
- Serve the salsa and sour cream on the side so the nachos don’t get soggy.
- Have your salsa, sour cream, and avocado ready to go so you can serve the nachos immediately. They cool down very quickly.
World’s Easiest Fudgy Brownies
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
1 cup cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup walnuts, lightly toasted, chopped*
- Heat oven to 350°F and spray a 8 x 8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan over lowest heat setting, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Transfer chocolate to a mixing bowl.
- Beat in the sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the flour and salt and mix until combined. Add the nuts.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out free of batter. Let cool before cutting.
*To toast walnuts, heat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on a pan and bake for 5 – 10 minutes or until lightly browned and toasty smelling. Cool and chop.
Crispy Rice Treats
1 7-oz bag Dandies All Natural Marshmallows
6 cups crispy rice cereal
2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Grease a 9 x 13 pan with coconut oil. Pour rice cereal into a large bowl.
- Melt coconut oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir until melted. Pour melted marshmallow mixture over rice and stir quickly with a wooden spoon.
- Immediately dump into prepared pan and spread evenly with your hands. You have to work fast and you may have to wet your hands with water to keep mixture from sticking. Let cool completely and cut into squares.