Banana Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding
4 cups packed, cubed day old challah bread
2 ripe bananas
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups milk
1/2 cup cane sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Grease a 2 qt casserole dish or an 8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread the bread cubes in the casserole dish. Dice one of the bananas and distribute among the bread cubes. Sprinkle half of the chocolate chips over the cubes and stir to distribute. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top.
- Mash the remaining banana in a bowl with a fork or potato masher. Add the eggs and beat to combine. Beat in the sugars, vanilla, melted butter, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in the milk. Pour this mixture over the bread cubes. Press the bread down into the liquid. Let sit for 10-15 minutes to allow bread to soak up the liquid.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Bake for 40 minutes. Let cool before serving. Drizzle with sauce and serve.
- To make sauce: Melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Add the maple syrup and vanilla and bring to a boil. Whisk in the cream and cook a few minutes until thickened.