5 tart apples, peeled, cored, quartered, thinly sliced
grated rind of 1/2 a lemon
juice from 1/2 a lemon
3/4 cup natural cane sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
pinch sea salt
8 ounces phyllo pastry, thawed
1 stick butter, melted
- Heat oven to 400°. Mix apples with lemon rind, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, flour, and sea salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Place 1 phyllo leaf on a clean work surface, short end closest to you, and brush with melted butter. Place a second leaf on top and brush with butter again. Repeat until 5 leaves have been used, using about 1/2 of the butter.
- Mound half of the filling in a 3-inch strip along the narrow end of the phyllo, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Roll up the filling encasing the apples and tucking in the edges as you roll. Brush top of the strudel with butter.
- Repeat the entire procedure for the second strudel. Place strudels on a greased, rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until browned.
Working with phyllo dough: Thaw dough out in refrigerator overnight. Remove wrapping and unroll. Place a damp dish towel over the exposed dough sheets to prevent them from drying out. Re-cover in between brushing each layer. Wrap remaining dough tightly in plastic wrap.