Adapted from kidscooking.com
3 large beets
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1-1/2 cups cane sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Trim stems off beets, and wash off dirt. Drizzle olive oil over beets. Wrap loosely in foil and place on a sturdy baking sheet. Roast 45-55 minutes, until tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and let beets cool 10-15 minutes. Peel and cut into chunks.
- Place beet chunks and applesauce in a food processor, fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until smooth.
- Beat sugar, oil and eggs together in a large mixing bowl. Add cocoa powder and beet mixture. Mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually mix into batter until no clumps of flour show. Do not overmix. Stir in half of the chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake another 5 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.