From Cook's Illustrated
6 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
red pepper flakes to taste
3 lbs ripe roma tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon natural cane sugar (optional)
2 ounces parmesan cheese, shredded (about 3/4 cup)
16 ounces fusilli, cooked
- Cook bacon in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper-towel-lined plate. Pour off bacon fat from pan and reserve for another use.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add oil, swirl to coat pan, and add garlic, rosemary, and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook until tomato pieces lose their shape to form chunky sauce, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.
- Toss sauce with pasta and serve, sprinkling Parmesan and reserved bacon over individual bowls.