Our Philosophy and Purchasing Policy
The guiding force behind all of our product purchasing decisions is taken directly from our Mission Statement which in part, states, “to provide high quality food produced in ecologically sound ways at fair value to member owners and the community.” From our beginnings Oryana has made conscious choices about the products we carry establishing a level of trust and customer satisfaction along the way. Our goal is to maintain that trust while at the same time balancing the many factors involved in making purchasing decisions.
These purchasing guidelines help us to:
- fulfill the philosophical intent of our mission statement and our Ends (goals)
- meet the needs and desires of our owners and guests (quality, variety, pricing etc.)
- return value to our owners
- evaluate the environmental, agricultural, health, and social/justice issues that surround food and food production methods.
Oryana is committed to providing the best selection of high quality foods and non-food products produced in ways that have a positive influence on our health and our environment. We believe our buying decisions can strengthen our community, enhance our commitment to sustainable local farmers, and of course, delights our palates!
Oryana Promotes and Supports these products and production methods:
- Local Certified Organic or Biodynamic
- Local is defined as the surrounding nine county areas that includes Antrim, Benzie, Charlevoix, Grand Traverse, Kalkaska, Leelanau, Manistee, Missaukee, and Wexford
- Non Certified Local that meet Oryana Standards
- Oryana Standards: Products are grown, raised or processed in accordance with organic agricultural practices emphasizing sustainable growing practices such as soil building, composting waste, crop rotation, protecting water sources and building habitat for birds and other wildlife. Inputs on these farms are only products approved for use from the OMRI Products listing. (Organic Materials Review Institute) If animals are raised for food production, they are raised humanely without the use of antibiotics or growth hormones, have access to pasture or are cage free and when fed supplemental grains those grains are sourced from non GMO seed and produced without the use of synthetic chemicals.
- Certified Organic or Certified Biodynamic (non local)
- Certified Fair Trade Products
- Certified Humane
- Certified by the Marine Stewardship Council
- Monteray Bay Aquariums “Fishwise Program”
In general Oryana chooses to emphasize:
- products that are minimally packaged or in recyclable or returnable containers
- non-irradiated products
- products that do not use animals for testing purposes
- animal products from animals that have been raised humanely in accordance with National Organic standards or Certified Humane standards and do not contain growth hormones or antibiotics
- Seafood that has been fished or farmed sustainably adhering to the recommendations from the “FishWise Program” administered through the Monteray Bay Aquarium or Certified through the Marine Stewardship Council
- products that do not contain artificial preservatives, colorings or flavorings hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, synthetic sweeteners or chemicals, nitrates or nitrites
- products that do not contain GMO’s (genetically modified organisms)
- whole or minimally processed foods
- Whole is defined as having only one ingredient and minimally processed is defined as those traditional processes used to make food edible, to preserve it, or to make it safe for human consumption e.g. smoking, roasting, freezing, drying, fermenting, or those physical processes that do not fundamentally alter the raw product such as separating a whole raw product into component parts such as pressing fruit to produce juice (USDA Food Standards and Labeling Policy definition)
Oryana is committed to working both short and long term with our local producers and farmers to identify creative and mutually beneficial solutions to ensure that local products sold at the store meet our guidelines.
We understand that there may be products in the store that fall short of these guidelines and though we don’t emphasize or promote those products they may fill a dietary or lifestyle need of our owners or guests. When and as appropriate substitutes can be found we will continue to phase out those products that don’t meet our guidelines for a higher quality product.
Oryana remains committed to providing the highest quality products we can find through staff diligence and research as well as advocating for a safer food system by supporting actions such as the Non-GMO project and campaign for the labeling of products that contain Genetically Modified Organisms. (GMO’s) We also support other industry efforts to produce higher quality, safer, healthier foods for all consumers that respect health and well-being.