How Maintaining a Healthy Gut is the Key to Vibrant Health
"All diseases begin in the gut."
Hippocrates 460-370 B.C.
Are you suffering from digestive issues like indigestion or constipation or perhaps other health issues such as allergies, depression or chronic pain? These and many other symptoms may be the result of a poorly functioning digestive system. When our digestive systems are “out of whack” we are out of balance. In large part this is due to an imbalance of our intestinal micro flora, which are the “good” bacteria, and vitally important to a healthy gut. These beneficial bacteria support and strengthen our immune system as well as aid in proper digestion, help to break down toxins, facilitate the absorption of vitamins and minerals, and keep pathogenic bacteria and yeast from taking hold. So how does one begin to repair, restore and rejuvenate their gut? Oryana is here and ready to help you take those first steps toward a healthier digestive system and ultimately a healthier you. Here are 15 Easy steps to get you started and to get those digestive juices flowing again.
15 Easy Steps to Better Digestive Health
- Choose whole, fresh, organic or naturally-raised foods
- Reduce or eliminate processed foods, especially those with refined ingredients such as white flour and sugar or those containing synthetic chemicals.
- Treat yourself to 3 - 5 servings of vegetables and 2 - 4 servings of fruit daily.
- At meal times, fill half your plate with vegetables.
- Add probiotic foods to your daily diet plan (probiotic foods include kefir, yogurt, cultured vegetables, kombucha, miso or tempeh)
- Add 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of cultured vegetables to any meal of the day (cultured vegetables are raw vegetables to which a culture has been added, such as sauerkraut)
- Add bitter greens to salads such as dandelion or arugula.
- Use coconut oil for cooking and baking rather than highly refined oils.
- Select whole grains and soak them for 8 hours before cooking to reduce the phytic acid, a component which interferes with mineral absorption.
- Use fresh lemons or limes in drinks or recipes.
- Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly.
- Read ingredient labels carefully and choose minimally processed foods
- Stay hydrated…drink lots of pure, non-chlorinated or filtered water throughout the day.
- Get moving….walk, bike, dance, etc. Get at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise every day.
- Reduce the stress in your life. Try meditation or yoga or simply relax and spend time with the people you love.