Call for Candidates
Call for Nominations for the Board of Directors
If you are passionate about the role of cooperatives in our community and about Oryana’s mission to provide high quality food produced in ecologically sound ways at fair value to member-owners and the community, please consider running for the Board of Directors.
The Oryana Board of Directors is made up of nine Oryana members and four positions will be up for election at the April, 2016 General Membership Meeting. Terms are two years and positions are open to all members in good standing as of 30 days prior to election day.
Board members should be energetic and willing to learn, have a desire to give back to the community, work as a team member, and be eager to guide the vision for Oryana’s future. Useful experience, education, or skills might include prior work on a board, financial or business background, supervisory or organizational skills, negotiation, facilitation, and conflict resolution skills, and experience with co-ops. Prospective board members should also familiarize themselves with board code of conduct agreement. Click for a prospective board member packet. This document contains general info, a code of conduct agreement, and questions for prospective board members.
HERE IS THE SCOOP
- Monthly commitment is a minimum of 8 hours per month and up to 20 hours per month
- Board members attend one meeting per month as well as one or more committees (Financial Due Diligence, Member Engagement/Outreach, Board Recruitment/Nomination and Board Education/Development)
- Oryana follows a governance model, so board members represent the membership and not their own personal agenda
- The board is supported with resources for training, as well as a stipend.
To submit your nomination, please send your contact information (phone, email, home address,) a high resolution photo of yourself and a statement to email@example.com. Please limit your responses to 350 words. In your statement, please answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in serving on the Board of Oryana? How do your values align with those of Oryana?
- What strengths would you bring to your role as a director on the board?
- What are some of the most significant challenges and opportunities you see facing Oryana?
- How would you represent the member-owners as a director of the board?
Nominations will run in the March-April newsletter and elections will be held at the General Membership meeting in April. The deadline for inclusion of nominations in the newsletter is January 29, 2015. (Note: you can still run for the board after this date but your statement will not be in the newsletter.) To learn more about serving on the Board of Directors, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the Prospective Board Member Packet